Friday, February 17, 2012

500 Beaded Jewelry

Two weeks ago, I got two e-mails from Lark Books telling me that two of my submissions for the new 500 Beaded Jewelry book were accepted.  I was so thrilled. And later one when I went to Facebook and saw the names of the others who were going to be published in this book, I about fainted.  To be with such talented people is just a mind blower for me.  My goal last year was to make jewelry done well enough to be published, and now to have not one but two of my creations.  The bracelet was from a challenge I had with Cynthia.  She had all these insect cabs that she'd gotten when in Arizona, and I found a dealer here at the Ohio State Fair.  I made Garden Buzz with the resin June bug cab and a piece of dyed pig leather.  I think I got the insect wings from Mary Tafoya off her Etsy sight.

Garden Buzz
The necklace was actually one that I had originally made as a big collar necklace, but it just didn't hang right on me, so I tore it all apart and made Napali Mist from the bits and pieces of the big collar.  I loved all the sequins that I got from Byzantium's close out sell, and the beaded lizard was from an article in Jill Oxton's Cross Stitch and Beading magazine.  The colors are what I brought back from our Kauai trip in 2010. 
Napali Mist

I saw that the 500 Beaded Jewelry is available from Amazon at a discount of less than $17, and several wrote on their FB page that it is already the number one beading book.  It is not even available until August of this year.  Wow! 

I'm working on a few items before I head up to the Detroit area to take classes with the Great Lakes Beadworker's Guild.  One of the members had some vintage glass cabs.  I finished up three...yes!  I said THREE pieces for this event called Light it Blue: Michigan.  I completed a necklace, brooch, and bracelet to hand over to Dina to be auctioned off to light up the Mackinac Bridge:

For the entire month of April, Corner Pieces intends to light the Mackinac Bridge blue in recognition of autism awareness.

I have to get the light box out to take pictures as there is far too much glare using the camera on my iPhone.  So check out later next week for this and possibly pictures of the great time I'm going to have meeting up with old friends (Sharon & Liz) and meeting members of this great Guild that I've only "talked" with on line. 

3 comments:

coolmoon said...

SOOOO excited for you, Dot. I got the invitation for submission as well, but didn't have the foggiest idea if I had the right dimensions when it came to photos, so I didn't bother. Wish I would have at least tried now, but honestly, don't think I would have had a chance at being included with all of these wonderful contributors. You bet I'll be one of the first to buy a copy though - again, congrats!
Sheryl
Cool Moon

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Congratulations!! Let me say that your humility has always amazed me.
IMHO THEY are in good company.
xx, Carol

Mary Ann Tate said...

Wow...congratulations:)