Saturday, May 9, 2009

Beading for a Cure


I'd like to introduce you to Gertrude. Gertrude started out life as a thrift shop reject. She originally was a Dream Pet hippopotamus with fabric eyes, funky yarn hair, and nothing special about her except she was purple. I spent a month working on her using the bead kit from the Beading for a Cure group. After I finished her up, I did enter her in Bead Dreams on a whim. She didn't get in which I expected, but I wanted to give it a try. I'm not really a blue type of person, but after I finished her up I just fell in love with her. I've had two people offer to buy her already. Don't know if I can even do that. I'm having doubts about sending her off to the BFC auction for next year. Last week one of the other beaded dolls like Gertrude only got a bid of @ 65 dollars. I don't know if I could let Gertrude go for such a low price as I've already been offered $150.oo for her from a local collector. Plus, I'm feeling that I might want to just keep her. I've got some time to decided, but for now she's living with me & I see her every day when I come down the stairs.

I've been absent for awhile as I've been busy getting ready for AFIC (Artistic Figures in Cloth). My best friend Cynthia came early & we got to spend some time together. I had a great time. I'm still unwinding & will post later about AFIC...an announcement that surprised me! and photos of my entry. Stay tuned as I've got to get the camera out.

dot

Addition: I just saw that our auctions for BFAC are back up. My doll an OOAK Podling is doing well & is going to bring in a nice price for our charity. I think I'm changing my mind & Gertrude just might have to leave my house to be auctioned off for next year. I was worried, but now I feel more confident that my Gertrude darling will do well next year. I hope Beki likes her company as that is where she will go to live for awhile. dot

8 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Well, Gertrude is perfect. She is sure to bring a good price AND make her new friend happy! You do SO underestimate yourself!! Quit it!

Can't wait for the announcement.

Nita Butler said...

OMG! I love this piece, he made me smile! You do excellent work!!
Thanks for making me smile!

Love,
Nita

Life @ a whisper said...

gertrude is darling...great work...how can you let her go?

bub said...

Gertrude is AWESOME, how could you part with her????

Hoopie

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous. I just look at work like this and think "such dedication". I am in awe.

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Wow! Gertrude is amazing! I think she's gorgeous. She's even more special when you realize that before she was just sitting in a thrift shop hoping to be loved again.

Gill Slone - Beadography said...

Gertrude is more than gorgeous (nearly as gorgeous as Scottie dogs) - I would never be able to part with her!

vanishingpearl said...

Gertrude is more than able to qualify for Bead Dreams. I think the judges are whacked in the head. I know my elaborate pieces should get in. That's why I only attempt it every other year. I know of a beaded art doll competition in Nashville if you're interested. Your work is fantastic and nobody should begrudge you your success. I won't. :) Happy beading.

Tamara