Thursday, November 21, 2013

Old Friends

Long ago when I first started to get into beading, I found a newly started Yahoo Group called Ohio Beaders.  I joined and was just amazed at all the talented jewelry artist from all over the Great State of Ohio.  Now don't quote me on the date as I'm losing my ability to remember how long ago that was, but I'm thinking this all was somewhere in the 2002-2003 timeline.  They had get together all over the State where I got to met in person the people I exchange communications online with.  We realized that we all had something in common even though some of us like me fell under the thrall of seed beads, while others were drawn to metal.  Through this group, I met artist who encouraged me to develop my limited at the time skills and push the envelope.  Cassandra Graham was the first person who taught me how to do bead embroidery at a meeting somewhere in Eastern Ohio.  And then I met my very good friend Sharon Hessoun through a mishap with crystals and gravel in Waldo Ohio.  Each person made me laugh and ponder the meaning of taking the artist walk. 












Then around 2005-2006 when I changed jobs and was stuck working almost every weekend, I wasn't able to go to any get together. About this same time, I became enmeshed is doll making and all my time was absorbed in that too.  Little by little, I stopped reading digest from Ohio Beaders Yahoo Groups, then stopped beading anything in general as my life became more complicated due to my unhappiness with my job and other life's stones thrown on my road.  Imagine my surprise, when I found the Ohio Beader's Group on Yahoo.  I was intrigued to see if anyone I still might remember were there...and yes they were.  Mary & Kim & Diva Kim & Tanya & Helen & Cheryl and others I'd met at retreats and gatherings.  Kim was in charge of the Christamas Gathering which was to be in Columbus.  Now that I have every weekend off courtesy of my new employer, I decided to attend.  I hadn't attended anything since 2008-2009, but it was like coming home.  Instantly there was the warmth and friendship of long lost friends who welcome you back without a mention that you'd strayed.  It was a magical day filled with beads, mishaps, and just plain ole fun.  I'm so happy I stumbled back into the fold.  Hello old friends...nice to met you...again.

No comments: