Thursday, May 10, 2012

Lark Craft review of Heat, Color, Set & Fire




Hello, here I am again ready to review another one of Lark Craft books.  This time, I’m stepping outside of my comfort zone with a book using metals and wire to make jewelry.  The book is
Heat, Color, Set, & Fire: Surface Effects for Metal Jewelry
by Mary Hettmansperger
I have taken a few classes working with metal at Byzantium that is now closed due to the owner’s retirement and had a blast.  When I came home to play with metals, I found that I truly did not have a good working place to hammer away in total contentment, so I put all my finishing and texturing hammers away waiting for the day when I could find a place to make as much noise as I wanted without driving my dogs crazy.  Opening the first pages of Mary Hettmansperger’s book published in April 2012, I felt a pull making me want to play with metals again.
The first few chapters had me dive further in and what initially caught my attention was the looping technique.  What a wondrous way to weave with wire making basket type cages for all kinds of stones or found objects.  Mary also shows how to use paints and embossing powders to create color taking metal jewelry one-step more.  She also showed how using a heat torch could bring out even more distinct colors depending on the type of metal used, but I just don’t see Chris letting me near a heat torch as I have a tendency to lose track of thought when deep in creating and I don’t really want to burn my house down.  I showed him how Mary demonstrates using Apoxie Sculpt and resin within a metal frame to create unique pieces of personal art. 
After reviewing her article about copper etching, I felt the need to give it one more try experimenting with all the stamps I’ve accumulated over the years making some very funky designs.  But the one chapter that really drew me in was using colored tins to make jewelry.  Wow!  I knew there was a reason why I bought two boxes of dog treat tins at a garage sale many years ago.  That combined with the techniques outlined in Mary’s book on how to use found objects made me think about all those tools I have put away, and how I could now use them.  Her approach on how to make resin jewelry just made me tingle, and I do believe I actually dreamed about this one night figuring out where I had all those great Scottie treasures and how to embed them in resin to make some unique pieces of jewelry. 
I can’t wait to get out the tins, sheets of metal, and tool later on next month during my 12 days of vacation time.  Maybe we could find someplace outside to hammer and make fun pieces of jewelry.  I really think this book will make anyone itch to try all the techniques for themselves.  Mary’s instructions are easy to follow with many pictures to guide the novice to creating something special.  Take a few minutes and look at some of Mary's completed metal piece in her gallery. Mary also does fantastic fiber arts and basketry.

Disclosure...As a reviewer of  products from Lark Books, I receive the book above free of charge. I have been asked to review these products and give my honest opinion of the products...positive or negative. I am not being compensated by Lark Books for my endorsement as it pertains to the products received and reviewed.

1 comment:

Dale said...

OK, now I want to run out and get the book. Sounds wonderful!