Friday, February 27, 2009

FAbulous Faces

Chris collects old 78s records. We love listening to music from the past. He has some that are even older than my Grandmother. Most of them are music that you can tap your toes to, and some I even remember hearing. My Mother would listen to the radio much of the time & there were no car trips without the dashboard radio blaring out song after song. Chris even had to get an old record player so we could listen to our collection. He got this big old Zenith brown bakelite. After some cleaning, polishing & replacing parts, he got it working. Then his friend Leo who goes to auctions with Chris gave him some old albums he didn't want. One of them was of an Incan singer named Yma Sumac. I took one look at the face on that album & fell in love with her. It is so 50s & her face is like a statue with almond eyes, painted on eyebrows, and cheeks that are so chiseled. We tried to play the album but it was scratch, YET...the voice was amazing. I haven't heard such a vocal range on anyone like this. Chris then found her website:

yma-sumac.com

Turn down the volume on your computer or else your dogs will be howling! I mean it! But listen to the music selection & tell me if you've ever heard anything like this before. I love Yma's face. I'm going to have to do something doll related, because she inspires me!!!!

5 comments:

Diana said...

I have heard something like it before, because I heard her. I remember my music teacher in high school playing her and blowing us away...the instant I heard the opening music on the site I recognized her voice. I used to be proud I could do just a little over three octaves, but she brought me down a peg!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I can't wait to see the face you create while inspired by Yma. Her range of voice is amazing.

Lynn said...

Well, Dot, I must say the singer is beautiful but that music is absolutely bizarre. I wish I could watch her perform. It's amazing how much her pitch, tone, whatever you call it, can change. Thanks for sharing!

Katie B said...

"I'm ready for my close up Mr. DeMille........"

flyingbeader said...

Okay, I found some You Tube sites with her singing & there is one with Charlton Heston that I adore.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=yma+sumac&aq=f