Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Review of Foxy Epoxy


Today amid the gray gloomy skies over Central Ohio, I decided to open up Kristal Wick's book Foxy Epoxy.  I needed something to take my mind off the numerous thunderstorms that have raced through out community for the past two weeks.  With serious bling in every page of Foxy Epoxy, the gray gloom seemed to disappear for the hours I spent thumbing through the pages admiring the 44 great projects from different artist.  Opening the first page, I was knocked out by the gorgeous Madonna pendent.  It was thrilling to turn each page and go on a journey of discovery with epoxy clay.  I'm familiar with the product having used it numerous times sculpting dolls, and my husband using Apoxie Sculpt all the time as the base for constructing his robots.  But I'd never even considering using epoxy clay for jewelry making until this book.  I've only used Apoxie Sculpt which dries in one color-grayish white.  It adheres to any clean surface which makes it the perfect product for big and small projects.  It was thrilling to find out that epoxy clay also comes in different colors.  How exciting.  Though non toxic, you should always be careful when first using these products.  It is recommended that you wear gloves or use hand lotion to protect your hands.  I've never had a reaction with this product, but it is always prudent to be proactive.  Also, you have to definitely remember to clean, clean, clean everything that comes in contact with epoxy clays as per its property it dries hard as a rock in 24 hours.  Nothing like getting it stuck on your sculpting tools or under your nails when it has dried hard.




Kristal Wick along with other fellow artist share the most delicious 44 projects to give your imagination a boost.   Here are projects to make rings, earrings, brooches, necklaces, and other items.  Add some crystals, beads, or anything hanging around your studio and watch this unique product change how you want to make jewelry.  Some of the projects introduce you into using resin with epoxy clay to add to your jewelry making joy.

On page 26, Kristal shares a project to add more bling to purchased rings using epoxy clay, crystals, and beads.  Each of these are tiny works of art.

I just love this Dragonfly brooch by Christina Orlikowski ( page 69) using chatons, crystal cup chain, and metal stampings.

Andrew Thornton's Crystal Cage ring (page 83) looks so organic that it is hard to believe that the ring is sculpted instead of chiseled out of stone.

And then Debbi Simon's Madonna necklace which was the first project that caught my attention uses epoxy clay and a unique way to do photo transfers onto an elegant pendent.


Plus there is even more from Lark Craft.  They have even more sneak peaks of Kristal Wick's Foxy Epoxy.  I think this a marvelous book for those looking to conquer other new products out that to create and inspire jewelry making to another level.

If you would like to read more about Epoxy clays please click here.  And purchase epoxy clay here.

Disclosure...As a reviewer of  products from Lark Books, I receive the book above free of charge. I have been asked to review these products and give my honest opinion of the products...positive or negative. I am not being compensated by Lark Books for my endorsement as it pertains to the products received and reviewed.

No comments: